A moist, extremely sweet slice, with a soft filling and a firm chocolate layer on top. Very nice.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 brown sugar
4oz butter, melted
1/3 cup golden syrup (found at specialty stores here - I found it at cost plus world market)
4oz. butter, melted
2 x 400g cans sweetened condensed milk
Ingredients: Chocolate Topping
6 oz. dark chocolate
3 tsp. vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Place the flour, coconut, sugar, and mutter in a bowl and mix.
3. Press the mixture into a square container that has been lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for around 15-18 min (until browned).
Method: Caramel Filling
1. Place the golden syrup, butter and condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat and stir for 7 min, or until it has thickened slightly.
2. Pour over the cooked base.
3. Bake for 20min (check after 15), or until the caramel is golden.
4. Refrigerate until the slice is cold.
1. Place the chocolate and oil in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Spread over the slice.
4. Refrigerate until firm.
5. Cut with a heated knife.
Taken from Donna Hay "Modern Classics book 2: Cookies, Biscuits + Slices, Small Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies + Tarts" pp. 16-17.