Saturday, October 11, 2008

Day One: The Beast aka my Levain

I'm growing a beast, a pet that requires feeding regularly and for the next 6-10 days it needs to be fed every 12 hours and then every 24 hours after that day in and day out. Yes my beast is a levain. Something that when I start to make breads at home will add to the complexity of the flavors. 
At school I hear "David, have you fed the levain?" "Sarah, have you fed the levain?" everyday the beast requires feeding. Then you rip a portion off add it to your bread and Bam - instant sour goodness! 
I'm using a book that one of my teachers recommended called:  "Bread: A Bakers Book of Techniques and Recipes: by a crazy obsessed bread man called Jeffrey Hamelman. Heaps of recipes, lots of great advice. The books geared to both the home bakers as well as professional bakeries, and the portions show it (for instance 23 loaves of roasted garlic levain vs. 2 loaves).

Anyway, everyone meet the beast. 

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

Ha don t starve the levain then. :) I m hopeless with bread making.

Amara said...

Heh, same here Snooky Doodle! Its awesome that you've nick-named it. Makes it seem all cute and cuddly. And delicious.

What school are you going to?

Cookie said...

Me also... I'm growing 2 starters now according 2 different methods. I'm curious to see which method is more efficient.
My creatures have only several days of life but I can't wait for putting them into practice and to make my first bread or at least pizza or focaccia.