Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week 3: Tarts a mistake or two

I tried making three tarts on the weekend and succeeded in 1.5. I have issues with crust. In class we're using flan rings, aka tart rings. They have no base and are essentially what they sound like - a ring of metal that's about 2cm high . They have no base. This is why I have issues (or maybe it's why I'd like to think I have issues). I made a pate sucree - the sweet dough for well, sweet things. I made a pear tart with brown butter filling, and a walnut one with vanilla alcohol and molasses. 

In the oven the bases on both broke, so I managed to have a puddle of baked stuff on the outside of the flan ring rather than in it. This was a big deal with the pear tart, as it was basically islands of pears with very little surrounding them. On the other hand, the walnut one wasn't so bad, you couldn't really taste the punchy inside 'gravy' as it had all leaked out. Instead it was sort of like a giant walnut cookie, that ended up being pretty tasty. 

I asked my teacher what I'd done, and he suggested that I hadn't pulled the dough in enough on the edges of the base to create a 90 degree angle. This basically means that I had a really weak base and so it broke aka exploded. So I will try it again this week some time, probably with different filling and see how I fair. 

I do love tarts! Having better luck this week with rolling the dough. Pate sucree can be a bit of a bitch. Word. 

3 comments:

Amara said...

That walnut tart looks delicious. Course... I love any dessert that nut filled. Sounds like fun!

Snooky doodle said...

the photos look yummy. I hate making pies since I always end up with tough and patchy pastry.

Haley said...

Haha! Thanks for the heads up to the frustration that may soon come. I see those tart "pans" hanging on the wall and it makes me a bit nervous.

Looks like you are having a wonderful time though! I love reading about your adventures!