Sunday, March 15, 2009

A simple pizza dough

I love pizza, and I love the fact that it can be so versatile. This is a dough recipe that I use all the time. It makes two huge pizza's and it works out everytime.

Pizza Dough, taken from Williams-Sanoma "Essentials of Baking, p. 2
Ingredients for Dough
2 packages of active dry yeast (5 tsp.)
560mL warm water
2 tsp. sugar

60 mL olive oil
780g flour (bread flour/ AP flour)

1 Tbs. salt

Method
1. Place the warm water and yeast into a large bowl and whisk together. Let rest for 5 min.
2. Add the sugar, oil, flour and salt and mix with your hands until a rough ball forms.
3. Scrape dough onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 min until the dough is soft, smooth and elastic.
4. Place into a oiled bowl, and wait until the dough has risen to around twice its original size (1-2 hours).
5. Preheat oven to 425F.

6. Divide into portions and place topping on.

7. Bake until the color is a light brown, and toppings look baked.

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

I m a pizza addict :) I ll try this recipe next time. thanks :)

Elyse said...

Haha, how lazy am I? I just ordered pizza in. I should have made your simple dough. I'm sure it makes for a much better pizza. I'm tabbing this recipe now!

Anonymous said...

I have only recently started making my own dough, and use one of the "no knead" recipes - which looks almost identical to this from what I remember.

I never realized just how easy it was to make pizza dough, I cannot believe I bought it for all those years!